Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

[Feedback] Overall first impressions

Hello folks,

So far I just want to preface that this game looks amazing for this early access release. Everything looks smooth from the wind blowing the trees and from the lights reflections on the water's surface. However there are a few things that I have noticed, personally, that would be some great QOL improvements to the players experience, as well as some things I have personally noticed in the game that could do with some tweaking.

One major thing that I feel should get some attention is the sounds of movement from the Player Character. I have my stats set to Ultra Quality, but while I am walking I can barely hear the footfall during movement. With it being such a snowy/icy environment I would kind of expect more crunching or sloshing sounds from the movement... I can barely hear them at all to be honest and that is my system at max volume. The same can be said about the sounds while sprinting. To my ears all it really sounds like is the same sound of the walk only slightly louder, but not even by that much. Also, regarding the Character, there are some (albeit personal) issues with the voice acting, it's not that it is bad, but there are just some things that he says during game play that just sound flat a bit, be in interaction with objects or the world as a whole. Like I said, overall it's good, but there is just a personal issues that some things sounds so "I guess" about things I hope that this can be addressed as time goes on into it's development.

Another aspect of the game that I feel could be addressed is the collision of the Player with certain objects in the game world. The biggest item in question that I have seen is from the sticks laying on the ground. One should easily be able to just walk over them but from what I have experienced it blocks your path if you try to walk over, and there is some small boundary surrounding them as well. Another aspect I have seemed to notice is when you are walking down a steep surface (From the mountainous areas mainly) is that you seem to hover over parts of the surface and that seems to extend a large bit past said surface and you don't fall.

Moving on to object interactions. Coming from most games, any object in the world that is interact-able, you are able to do so using any portion of that said object which is sadly not the case with this game. There is a specific point or points on the object only that make it so. If I were in my standard style of "Loot n' Scoot" that makes this task seemingly impossible to just run and grab what I need and get out in a hurry, or if I am trying to get away from a dangerous situation i.e. Blizzards or Angry Critters, so it's something that I feel could be worked on in the future.

The UI, looking at it it feels good. I enjoy those little quirks that it has regarding the current temperature of the player as he gets colder the longer he is in exposed territory. His little shivering movement on the status page is just /chef kiss worthy. But my main issue with the UI has to do with the button clicks. As stated regarding object interaction, you can only click in certain portions of the box for an action to be completed,  which can be extremely frustrating. There are these huge confirmation buttons that take up 1/3 width of the screen but only if you are in the right area can you click them. One other thing I would like to see, personally, is a "Take All" option when looting containers, it's nothing huge but I feel it would enhance those who like to "Loot n' Scoot" while they are out and can assess their inventory when in a safer location.

But I digress, as stated I do enjoy the look and feel of this game as a whole and I do hope that this one will turn out just as successful as the other winter survival game I play that I am sure most of the player base has played (The Long Dark). This is just one persons feedback so take from it what you will. And I do hope that this game turns out some fantastic updates for future game play that will blow me away!

Thanks for listening!

(11.01.2021, 02:34)Malbred Wrote: Hello folks,

So far I just want to preface that this game looks amazing for this early access release. Everything looks smooth from the wind blowing the trees and from the lights reflections on the water's surface. However there are a few things that I have noticed, personally, that would be some great QOL improvements to the players experience, as well as some things I have personally noticed in the game that could do with some tweaking.

One major thing that I feel should get some attention is the sounds of movement from the Player Character. I have my stats set to Ultra Quality, but while I am walking I can barely hear the footfall during movement. With it being such a snowy/icy environment I would kind of expect more crunching or sloshing sounds from the movement... I can barely hear them at all to be honest and that is my system at max volume. The same can be said about the sounds while sprinting. To my ears all it really sounds like is the same sound of the walk only slightly louder, but not even by that much. Also, regarding the Character, there are some (albeit personal) issues with the voice acting, it's not that it is bad, but there are just some things that he says during game play that just sound flat a bit, be in interaction with objects or the world as a whole. Like I said, overall it's good, but there is just a personal issues that some things sounds so "I guess" about things I hope that this can be addressed as time goes on into it's development.

Another aspect of the game that I feel could be addressed is the collision of the Player with certain objects in the game world. The biggest item in question that I have seen is from the sticks laying on the ground. One should easily be able to just walk over them but from what I have experienced it blocks your path if you try to walk over, and there is some small boundary surrounding them as well. Another aspect I have seemed to notice is when you are walking down a steep surface (From the mountainous areas mainly) is that you seem to hover over parts of the surface and that seems to extend a large bit past said surface and you don't fall.

Moving on to object interactions. Coming from most games, any object in the world that is interact-able, you are able to do so using any portion of that said object which is sadly not the case with this game. There is a specific point or points on the object only that make it so. If I were in my standard style of "Loot n' Scoot" that makes this task seemingly impossible to just run and grab what I need and get out in a hurry, or if I am trying to get away from a dangerous situation i.e. Blizzards or Angry Critters, so it's something that I feel could be worked on in the future.

The UI, looking at it it feels good. I enjoy those little quirks that it has regarding the current temperature of the player as he gets colder the longer he is in exposed territory. His little shivering movement on the status page is just /chef kiss worthy. But my main issue with the UI has to do with the button clicks. As stated regarding object interaction, you can only click in certain portions of the box for an action to be completed,  which can be extremely frustrating. There are these huge confirmation buttons that take up 1/3 width of the screen but only if you are in the right area can you click them. One other thing I would like to see, personally, is a "Take All" option when looting containers, it's nothing huge but I feel it would enhance those who like to "Loot n' Scoot" while they are out and can assess their inventory when in a safer location.

But I digress, as stated I do enjoy the look and feel of this game as a whole and I do hope that this one will turn out just as successful as the other winter survival game I play that I am sure most of the player base has played (The Long Dark). This is just one persons feedback so take from it what you will. And I do hope that this game turns out some fantastic updates for future game play that will blow me away!

Thanks for listening!

Hello, Malbred! I have read your feedback with great interest and I want to thank you for writing to us and for describing these issues in such a detailed manner! This helps us a lot in developing the game in the right direction.

Regarding the sounds and voice acting, I am happy to tell you that we are about to hire a Sound Designer soon that will not only make the right sounds for walking/sprinting (just like you described), but he will also enrich the game with sounds in every aspect of it. We also plan on changing the voice, but this is something we don't have an ETA for because of our limited budget.

Regarding the collision and object interactions issues, I have noted them down, added them to our to-do list, and we will work to fix them! 

About the UI, we are glad liked the quirks. Smile Unfortunately, it has been reported many times that the interface is not user-friendly, has issues and it takes too many clicks to actually get to do something. We are at the moment making concepts for a new Interface of the game that will change the game's core as well. We will most likely leave the Stats menu as it is and add a Clothing menu, and the rest of the functions will be outside menus (we are thinking about an on-screen inventory that will not be a menu but rather something interactable). There is a lot to think and work on when it comes to Interface, and we wouldn't want to rush it. But until we manage to do an overhaul, we will look into the issues with the buttons being unresponsive and we will most likely add a "Take all" button as well. 

We have a lot of plans for the game and we will slowly work towards them! Thank you again for writing to us and please don't hesitate to contact us anytime you have bugs to report, feedback, or ideas for content you would like to see in-game! We are happy when we receive this kind of messages! 
If you enjoy playing Northern Lights and you like the way our game is heading towards, it would help us a lot if you left us a review at some point! There has been a lot of negativity going in the Review section (some of them justified), and it, unfortunately, dragged our project down in the Steam charts. 

Best regards,
Claudiu